How many of us can raise three children, actively form a non-profit organization dedicated to providing clothing and equipment to New York families in need (Baby Buggy), and have the likes of Gwyneth Paltrow over for dinner? Well, this New York Times best-selling author and half to comedian, Jerry Seinfeld, can do it all. Jessica Seinfeld began dabbling in the kitchen at 10 years old, perusing cookbooks and her mother’s cooking notes. This trophy mom and wife knows all the right ingredients to nutritious and delicious meals, and family togetherness.
LEMON CHICKEN INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, separated
3 cups low-fat, reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 teaspoons water
2 teaspoons cornstarch
½ cup cauliflower puree
1 tablespoon chopped parsley (optional)
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
1 cup whole-wheat flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
6 skinless, skinless chicken breast cutlets (about 2 ¼ pounds)
1. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, sauté the chopped garlic in 1 teaspoon of the olive oil until it begins to turn golden brown, Add the chicken broth, turn the heat to high, and reduce by half, about 8 minutes. Add the lemon juice.
2. In a small bowl, combine the water and cornstarch. Slowly stir the cornstarch mixture into the boiling chicken broth. The mixture will thicken quickly. Add he cauliflower puree. Sprinkle in parsley, if desired. Cover to keep warm and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, begin heating the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Whisk the egg whites and egg in a shallow bowl. Combine the flour, salt, and garlic powder on a large plate. Dredge each chicken cutlet in the seasoned flour and then dip in the egg mixture. Drop the cutlets directly into the heated skillet. Sauté 4 to 5 minutes per side, until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through. Add the lemon sauce and cook 2 to 3 minutes more to combine flavors. Serve.
Must-haves as a mom
Great friends and a great coffee machine.
What it’s like being a mom to 3 children
Our house is a lot fun because it is always full of kids of all ages playing together. Having three kids is also challenging and can be hard to balance—someone usually feels left out because of the 2:3 parent-to-kid ratio. And since my husband travels so much, our household is often a 1:3 ratio! I have lots of moments where I feel stretched in so many directions that I feel like I’m not doing a great job with anything. But I wouldn’t trade it for the world.
Time management and multi-tasking
Stay up late and get up early. When I’m running on empty, I like to remind myself that I’ll have time to sleep later in life when my kids get older.
How to avoid raising picky eaters
1. Cook for your family and don’t rely on convenience foods. It’s easy for kids to get hooked on the flavors of the high-sodium, sugar, and fat found in packaged foods. By cooking, you will create healthier habits; you won’t add nearly as much salt, sugar and fat to your meals as food companies do to processed, convenience foods.
2. Model healthy eating behaviors to your children by eating a varied and well-balanced diet yourself.
3. Don’t be afraid to put your foot down when it comes to unhealthy foods. You’re in charge. As a parent, it’s important to find creative and non-stressful ways to say no to your children about junk foods or unreasonable portions.
Her family’s comfort food
My family loves to snack on natural salt ‘n vinegar potato chips, Graeter’s Ice Cream, and my Sunday-night Chicken Parmesan. However, we always make sure to eat these treats in moderation and with appropriate portions.
On whether Jerry Seinfeld has a say on what’s for dinner
Yes. He likes anything that is not fussy or fancy. He will almost always request something Italian with a tomato sauce.
The secret to her success
I stay up late and get up early to get things done. I also have incredibly talented and trustworthy people in my life who help me become better at what I do.
BY KARIZ FAVIS AND VALERIE DEL CASTILLO